South Carolina’s ports are an integral part of state and local history. Charles Towne was founded in 1670 in order to take advantage of the natural seaport to facilitate trade. South Carolina flourished with the wealth brought in by maritime commerce. To continue that connection, the SC Ports Authority has helped preserve important pieces of history, including significant structures and property.
The Bennett Rice Mill façade stands at the center of the Port’s Union Pier Terminal in downtown Charleston. The mill, which opened in 1845, is considered one of the finest examples of 19th century American industrial architecture.
In addition, nearly 1,000 acres of environmentally and historically significant properties in the Cooper River watershed are being permanently protected, under a $1-million land preservation program by the South Carolina Ports Authority (SCPA). The effort is part of the SCPA’s $12-million environmental and community mitigation package related to the new container terminal under construction at the former Navy Base in North Charleston.
In all, three properties totaling more than 967 acres are being preserved through the SCPA plan.
Buck Hall is located on the west branch of the Cooper River adjacent to Mepkin Abbey. The property includes 375 acres of wetlands that will be preserved, free of further development, in perpetuity.
Additional properties now under conservation easements through the SCPA funds include 22 acres at the St. James Chapel of Ease in Goose Creek and 122 acres at Brickyard Plantation, which is located on the east branch of the Cooper River at the upper stream of Quimby Creek.
The SCPA partnered with the Lord Berkeley Conservation Trust to identify and acquire the properties. The property owners each have signed agreements with the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers and the South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control, placing their properties under conservation easements.
Additional components in the SCPA’s $12-million mitigation plan included a $1 million contribution to protect the 126-acre Morris Island site as a public space for future generations, a five-year collaboration with EcoHealth Alliance on aerial surveys of right whale migrations and a $1-million partnership with the South Carolina Department of Natural Resources SCORE (South Carolina Oyster Restoration and Enhancement) program to restore approximately five miles of oyster reefs in the area. Elsewhere in the harbor, the SCPA will be recreating a 22-acre tract of tidal marsh on the southern end of Drum Island.